All SVGS divisions are based upon general ASA rules.
Because of time constraints and safety issues, Scotts Valley Girls' Softball has added rules specific to this age group.
Juniors - Grade level: 4th-5th*
• 10 defensive players are allowed - 4 outfielders
• Minimum number of players is 8 - game must be played.
• All players bat in the line-up
• Batting helmet must have face guards, defensive masks are not required
• Pitchers can only pitch 2 innings per game
• Pitcher may re-enter once
• One pitch thrown in an inning constitutes an inning
• On deck swinging is NOT allowed
• Runners must slide to avoid contact
If a girl is hit by a pitch, we will go straight to coach pitch.
• Stealing is allowed on pitcher's release, Only three steals per team, per inning
• If ball four is called, a batter is given one pitch from her coach. If fouled, she gets another.
• Bunting is allowed off of pitchers, not coaches
• On overthrows past first base, the runners are allowed to only take one base at their own risk
• The infield fly rule in not in effect
• Maximum of 5 runs per team per inning
• In the spirit of good sportsmanship, negative chanting or noise makers (cow bells etc.) are NOT allowed
• No chanting allowed once Pitcher is set
• No strike 3 dropped ball rule
• No inning may start after 75 minutes of play, unless the game is tied
• International tie breaking rule is in effect for each game
• End of the season standings are based on win loss records. If there is a tie, first tie breaker is "head-to-head" play, if there is still a tie the teams will be ranked according to fewest runs allowed (RA).
* 7 players in the field will constitute a legal game
* Players may play up a grade level upon approval by league administration, but may not play down a grade level.